City logo home page link



Police Permits and Requests

Police Permits and Requests

Alarm Permit Application

Pursuant to Pacific Grove Municipal Code (PGMC) Chapter 11.62 Alarm Systems “No person, owner, agent, alarm company or alarm company agent shall install or cause to be installed, use, maintain, or possess an alarm system at any residence or on any business premises or building within the city of Pacific Grove without having obtained an alarm user’s permit from the chief of police in accordance with this section.”

In addition, the City will assess fees for false alarm response calls made by the Pacific Grove Police Department. For questions related to Alarm Permits or False Alarm Fees, please contact the Records Division at or call (831) 648-3143.

Amplified Sound Permit Application

Pursuant to PGMC Chapter 11.94 Sound Amplification Regulations “Any person may apply to the city manager for a permit to operate a sound-amplification device, which may be audible beyond the boundaries of the public or private property at which operated, by application made prior to operation.”

Animal Keeping Permit

An animal keeping permit must be submitted and approved when requesting to home in excess of 3 dogs and/or 3 cats, and any combination there of. In addition, an animal keeping permit must be approved for chickens, bees, and other animals not considered “pocket pets” (lizards, guinea pigs, etc.). For clarification, contact Code Compliance at (831) 648-3199 or refer to PGMC Chapter 10.08 Keeping of Animals and Fowl.

Bicycle Registration Form

Registering your bicycle is a free community service and helps Police personnel reconnect found bikes with their owners.

Close Patrol Request Form

When leaving out of town for an extended period of time, submit the Close Patrol Request Form to the Police Department. This form will prompt Patrol to conduct periodic drive-bys, as time allows, and will ensure your contact information should something occur at your residence. 

Dog Licenses

For information on dog licenses, visit the Animals page.

Drone Permit Application

We would like to share our drone related ordinance with you. The aim of this ordinance is to avoid disturbing wildlife, guests, and residents. The majority of our city is located within a five nautical mile radius of the Monterey Regional Airport. This means anyone who would like to fly a drone in the city of Pacific Grove would need to get permission from the airport tower (three days in advance) as well as a permit from the City Manager or their designee. View our drone brochure for more information.

Garage Sale Permit Application

See PGMC Chapter 11.10 Garage Sales. Cost is only $6 for processing.

Massage permits are required for both businesses and technicians. Refer to PGMC Chapter 7.06 Massage Therapy and Massage Businesses or Establishments

Motion Picture or Still Photography Productions Permit

The City of Pacific Grove is set on a stunning coastline featuring beautiful beaches, a quaint downtown area, Victorian architecture, pine forests, monarch butterflies, and so much more! The BBC has named Pacific Grove one of America’s Best Little Beach Towns and CNN Best U.S. Seaside Escape on the west coast!

More information is available with the form. Contact Cmdr. Rory Lakind at (831) 648-3151 to set-up either motion picture or still photography productions.

Parking Permits

POD or Refuse Container Permit Application

Pursuant to PGMC Chapter 15.40 Refuse and Storage Containers on City Streets “No person shall cause or allow a large refuse container or storage container to be placed on any city street, roadway or alley without first obtaining a permit from the city.”

Approved permits are valid for 7 days. Extensions must be requested through the police department and will be valid for an additional 7 days. No applicant shall be granted more than 2 permits in a 12 month period.

Solicitor/Peddler Permit Application

Contact the Police Department at (831) 648-3143 to find out how to submit a Solicitor/Peddler Permit Application.

Special Event Application