In our city, the greatest hazards during rain storms exist from rising water from high surf, flooding in low lying areas, and downed power lines and trees. In order to remain safe, please use the following guidelines:
- If you haven't already signed up for Alert Monterey notifications, you can do so at alertmontereycounty.org. You will be notified of hazardous conditions, road closures and items the affect your neighborhood.
- Stay away from the beach areas, as the turbulent high surf and sneaker waves can quickly turn deadly.
- If you see downed power lines, call 911. Don't touch a fallen power line or anything touching the wire. Don't drive over a fallen power line. If your vehicle comes in contact with a downed power line. Stay inside! The safest place is in your car.
- If you are outdoors and a storm rolls in, be aware of your surroundings. Look up and listen for cracking branches.
- Do not attempt to clear storm drains in flooded areas. You may not know how deep the water really is or what lies beneath it. Call the police non-emergency phone number at (831) 648-3143.