Municipal Code Regulations
Chapter 9.16 GARBAGE AND REFUSE DISPOSALFull text of Pacific Grove Municipal Code Chapter 9.16
9.16.050 Collection. (a) Required.
The owner or occupant of each Premises within the city, or the owner of any other lot upon which Solid Waste may be produced or accumulated, shall obtain and maintain adequate Collection service from the city’s Solid Waste Collection franchisee and shall be liable for and shall pay the full amount of any and all fees or charges imposed for such services. As used herein, the term “adequate Collection and disposal service” shall be determined by the city manager or designee. Each category of Solid Waste that contains putrescible organic material shall be collected no less than once per week, unless otherwise approved by the City Manager.
9.16.050 Collection. (c) Schedule.
No Collection shall be commenced before the hour of 6:00 a.m. or after the hour of 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on order of the city manager or designee.
Containers for residential Solid Waste Collection shall be placed adjacent to the street on the day of Collection not earlier than 6:00 p.m. on the day prior to scheduled Collection. Containers for one Premises shall not be placed in the right-of-way on other Premises. All such Containers shall be removed from the Curb prior to 7:00 p.m. the day of Collection. Containers for commercial Collection shall be screened from public view, except on the day of pickup, and shall be returned to their stored location within two hours of pickup.
Chapter 11.98 REDUCTION OF SINGLE-USE PLASTIC AND PAPER CARRYOUT BAGSFull text of Pacific Grove Municipal Code Chapter 11.98
Chapter 11.98 has been added to the Pacific Grove Municipal Code, establishing a plastic bag ban to all retail stores on 3/1/2015. The Carry Out Bag Ordinance also requires a charge on allowed carry out bags (recycled paper bags or reusable bags). Shoppers can avoid the charge by bringing their own bag.
- Applies to all retail stores starting on 3/1/2015
- Prohibits all single-use plastic carry out bags
- Requires a 10¢ minimum charge on all compliant carry out bags
- Charge must be indicated on customer transaction receipt Allows stores keep the charge
- Charge does not apply to WIC, SNAP, CalFresh, other government-subsidized purchase programs
Chapter 11.99 FOOD PACKAGINGFull text of Pacific Grove Municipal Code Chapter 11.99
11.99.020 Prohibited disposable food service ware.
- Food providers within the city may not provide prepared food in any disposable food service ware that contains polystyrene foam.
- Disposable food service ware that contains polystyrene foam is prohibited from use in all city facilities.
- City contractors in the performance of city contracts and special events promoters may not provide prepared food in disposable food service ware that contains polystyrene foam.