Building Permits & Inspections
COVID-19 PROCEDURE: City Hall is open with limited capacity for in person appointments. Members of the public and applicants are strongly encouraged to email, phone or video conference with staff to conduct business. The Community Development Department will continue to accept permit applications, development inquiries, and plan reviews electronically.
If you have a question or need to complete a City transaction, you may do so via phone, e-mail or online through the City website. Click to View Staff Directory and/or Contact Us. Should you need to drop-off materials (payments, applications, etc.) for ANY City department, a mail drop off box is located at the City Hall, 300 Forest Ave. Visit the COVID-19 page for additional updates, information and resources.
|Please note!California Building Code Changes Effective January 1, 2023
Any projects submitted to the building department for review after January 1, 2023 must comply with the new 2022 codes. Please see the link below for substantive changes of interest to code users as they familiarize themselves with the 2022 edition of Title 24.
You may contact our building division at 831-648-3191 with any questions.
California Building Code Changes
The Building Division oversees all residential and commercial construction activities in the community. The division ensures that all building codes and regulations are met, based on local, state, and federal guidelines.
Building staff administers permit and inspection services for all construction activity to ensure compliance with local and state building codes and to provide public safety to the community.
Building staff provides counter services, plan review services, and inspection services; and responds to building-related questions and requests from the public, City Manager and City Council.
|Search Building Permits||Schedule Inspection|
|SEARCH RZRR||BUILDING Forms
ONLINE PERMIT APPLICATIONS AND PAYMENT PROCESSING AVAILABLE FOR THE FOLLOWING
- Building Permit
- Curb/ Gutter Permit
- Driveway Approach Permit
- Electrical Permit
- Mechanical Permit
- Plumbing Permit
- Re-Roof Permit
- Temporary Encroachment
- Permanent Encroachment
- Street Opening/ Excavation
- Sidewalk Permit
Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required: Approval from the Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board and/or planning staff.
Counter Hours: Monday- Thursday 8 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. The counter is closed Fridays for permit activity.
Applying for a permit:
- Complete and submit this form to apply for a standalone Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, Solar, or Re-roof permit.
- Complete and submit this form to apply for a Building Permit.
- Complete and submit this form to apply for an Encroachment, Street Opening, Driveway, Sidewalk, or Curb/Gutter/Ramp Form.
Please note that anyone can apply for a building permit. However, a permit will only be issued to a California State licensed Professional or the owner of the property.
Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:
- California State Contractor's license
- Worker's compensation insurance certificate
- Current City of Pacific Grove business license
Additional permits/approvals/ development impact fees that may be needed prior to permit issuance:
- Monterey One Water (Formerly MRWPCA) sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372.2385)
- MPWMD permit or waiver (The "Water" Department) (658.5601)
- Health Department for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647.7650)
- MBARD for Demolitions (647.9411)
- CCC permit or waiver for properties in the Coastal Zone (427.4863)
- TAMC Regional Development Impact fee
Building permit fees are charged in accordance with the adopted fee schedule. The City encourages applicants to consult with the other agencies (information location above) in which additional approvals may be required, to determine additional fees that will be associated with your project.
Plan review fees are collected at the time of application. These fees are non-refundable and collected upfront for plan check services provided.
Plan Review Process:
Once plans are submitted to the City for review, the Permit Technician will provide the applicant with a detailed list of outside agencies and internal departments that require approval prior to permit issuance.
Once the internal Department comments are compiled, the permit tech will email the applicant the comments directly.
Please follow instructions on plan review letter for resubmittal. For additional information, please call (831) 648-3191.
Construction Inspections:When calling the Inspection Line at (831)-648-3194 to schedule an inspection, please have the following information available:
- Permit Number
- Job Address - please include the street name and number
- Type of Inspection needed
- Date that the inspection is requested for
- Name and phone number of whom to contact with questions
- Inspection requests received before 4:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day.
- To confirm the 2 hour time frame on the day of your inspection, please contact the main line at (831) 648-3191 between 8:00-9:00 am.
- For inspections, someone over the age of 18 must be present if access is required.
- The approved plans and job card must be left at the site for inspector review.
- Permits expire 180 days after permit issuance or last inspection.
- No confirmation call will be made.
- Fire Safety Awareness Tips
- Family Emergency Plan
- Protecting Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Building Safety Month
- Mold in the Home
- Protect your family from Lead-based Paint
- Renovate Safely
- Renovate Safely (Spanish)
- Building Green-Living Better
- Solid Waste & Recycling Information for Business
- Building Codes Toolkit
- Earthquake safety guide
- Shake OUT
- Lead-Based Paint
- How to protect your family from lead based paint
- CA Dept of Health Statement on Mold
- Humidifier Care
- Mold brochure