Water Saving Tips
As California faces extreme drought conditions, your commitment to conservation is needed now. Making water conservation part of your daily routine will save both water and money every day.
Here are a few easy tips you can follow:
- Don’t let the water run while brushing your teeth, shaving or washing dishes – saves about 2 gallons per minute.
- Install water-efficient showerheads and faucet aerators – saves 1 gallon per minute.
- Shorten your shower time – reducing your shower by just 3 minutes can save about 8 gallons of water.
- Repair toilets and other plumbing leaks ASAP – saves hundreds of gallons per day.
- Replace older toilets and clothes washers with new water-efficient models. These two fixtures are the largest water users in the home.
- Reduce one load of laundry per week by waiting to run full loads – saves about 20 gallons.
- Limit landscape watering – twice a week is enough for most gardens.
- Adjust sprinklers and to minimize overspray and runoff.
- Add mulch to your landscape - a 2-3" layer of mulch around plants helps retain soil moisture and suppress weed growth.
- Water at night or early morning – water between 8 p.m. and 10 a.m. to reduce evaporation and water lost due to wind.
Find more tips at WaterSense