Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required: Approval from the Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board and/or planning staff.
Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:
- California State Contractor's license
- Worker's compensation insurance certificate
- Current City of Pacific Grove business license
Additional permits/approvals that may be needed prior to permit issuance:
- Monterey One Water (Formerly MRWPCA) sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372.2385)
- MPWMD permit or waiver (The "Water" Department) (658.5601)
- Health Department for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647.7650)
- MBARD for Demolitions (647.9411)
- CCC permit or waiver for properties in the Coastal Zone (427.4863)
Building permit fees are charged in accordance with the adopted fee schedule. The City encourages applicants to consult with the other agencies (information location above) in which additional approvals may be required, to determine additional fees that will be associated with your project.
Plan review fees are collected at the time of application. These fees are non-refundable and collected upfront for plan check services provided.
Plan Review Process: