Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required: Approval from the Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board and/or planning staff.
Applicants must have the following when applying for a building permit:
- Address of project (all projects are filed by address)
- Square footage of any new construction or addition
- Name, address, and phone number of building owner
- Name, address, and phone number of contractor (if known)
- Plan check fee (Based on project valuation)
Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:
- California State Contractor's license
- Worker's compensation insurance certificate
- Current City of Pacific Grove business license
Additional permits/approvals that may be needed prior to permit issuance:
- Monterey One Water (Formerly MRWPCA) sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372.2385)
- MPWMD permit or waiver (The "Water" Department) (658.5601)
- Health Department for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647.7650)
- MBARD for Demolitions (647.9411)
- CCC permit or waiver for properties in the Coastal Zone (427.4863)
Building Permit fees are charged in accordance with the adopted Fee Schedule. The City encourages applicants to consult with other agencies to determine additional fees. Outside agency development impact fees typically charged at the building permit stage may include;
- Monterey One Water sewer fees for new connections or change of use.
- Transportation Agency for Monterey County fees for new development or change of use.
- Monterey Peninsula Water Management District potable water fees if applicable.
- If applicable special sewer hook up fees on certain portions of Ocean View Blvd.
At this time there are no school district or park improvement impact fees.
Note: Only licensed contractors or building owners may take out a building permit. Please contact the Building Division at 648-3191 for any additional information.