Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required: Approval from the Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board and/or planning staff.
Applicants must have the following when applying for a building permit:
- Address of project (all projects are filed by address)
- Square footage of any new construction or addition
- Name, address, and phone number of building owner
- Name, address, and phone number of contractor (if known)
- Plan check fee (Based on project valuation)
Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:
- California State Contractor's license
- Worker's compensation insurance certificate
- Current City of Pacific Grove business license
Additional permits/approvals that may be needed prior to permit issuance:
- Monterey One Water (Formerly MRWPCA) sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372.2385)
- MPWMD permit or waiver (The "Water" Department) (658.5601)
- Health Department for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647.7650)
- MBUAPCD for Demolitions (647.9411)
- CCC permit or waiver for properties in the Coastal Zone (427.4863)
Note: Only licensed contractors or building owners may take out a building permit. Please contact the Building Division at 648-3191 for any additional information.
The Building Division performs two types of inspections:
Residential Zoning Records Report (City Report) Inspection:
A residential property inspection requires that an exterior inspection and report be obtained through Building Permit & Inspection Services prior to the close of escrow, transfer of title for sale or exchange of any residential property, on all single-family dwellings, condos and apartment buildings. You can print the application form and fax it to (831) 646-5643 or bring it to our office.
When calling the Inspection Line at (831)-646-3890 to schedule an inspection, please have the following information available:
- Permit Number
- Job Address - please include the street name and number
- Type of Inspection needed
- Date that the inspection is requested for
- Name and phone number of whom to contact with questions.
- No confirmation call will be made.
- For inspections, someone must be present if access is required.
- The plans and job card must be left at the site for inspector review.
- Permits expire one year after permit issuance or last inspection.
- Inspection requests received before 2:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day.
- Inspection requests received after 2:00 p.m. may be scheduled on the following day.
Fire Safety Awareness Tips
Family Emergency Plan
Protecting Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Building Safety Month
Mold in the Home
Protect your family from Lead-based Paint
Renovate Safely (Spanish)
Building Green-Living Better
Solid Waste & Recycling Information for Business
Building Codes Toolkit
Earthquake safety guide
How to protect your family from lead based paint
CA Dept of Health Statement on Mold