City logo home page link



Building Permits & Inspections

Due to an increase in COVID-19 cases in Monterey County, City Hall facilities will close to the public effective Friday July 10, 2020, until further notice.

City staff will continue to work to ensure City business is still being conducted remotely. If you have a question or need to complete a City transaction, you may do so via phone, e-mail or online through the City website. Click to View Staff Directory and/or Contact Us. Should you need to drop-off materials (payments, applications, etc.) for ANY City department, a mail drop off box is located in the Police Department Lobby at 580 Pine Avenue (open 7am - 11pm). Visit the COVID-19 page for additional updates, information and resources.

The Building Division oversees all residential and commercial construction activities in the community. The division ensures that all building codes and regulations are met, based on local, state, and federal guidelines.

Building staff administers permit and inspection services for all construction activity to ensure compliance with local and state building codes and to provide public safety to the community.

Building staff provides counter services, plan review services, and inspection services; and responds to building-related questions and requests from the public, City Manager and City Council.



Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required: Approval from the Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board and/or planning staff.

Counter Hours: Monday- Thursday 8 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4 p.m. The counter is closed Fridays for permit activity.
Applying for a permit:
Complete and submit this form to apply for a standalone Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, Solar, or Re-roof permit.
Complete and submit this form to apply for a Building Permit.
Complete and submit this form to apply for an Encroachment, Street Opening, Driveway, Sidewalk, or Curb/Gutter/Ramp Form.
Please note that anyone can apply for a building permit. However, a permit will only be issued to a California State licensed Professional or the owner of the property.

Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:

  • California State Contractor's license
  • Worker's compensation insurance certificate
  • Current City of Pacific Grove business license

Additional permits/approvals/ development impact fees that may be needed prior to permit issuance:

  • Monterey One Water (Formerly MRWPCA) sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372.2385)
  • MPWMD permit or waiver (The "Water" Department) (658.5601)
  • Health Department for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647.7650)
  • MBARD for Demolitions (647.9411)
  • CCC permit or waiver for properties in the Coastal Zone (427.4863) 
  • TAMC Regional Development Impact fee


Building permit fees are charged in accordance with the adopted fee schedule.  The City encourages applicants to consult with the other agencies (information location above) in which additional approvals may be required, to determine additional fees that will be associated with your project.

Plan review fees are collected at the time of application.  These fees are non-refundable and collected upfront for plan check services provided.

Plan Review Process:

Once plans are submitted to the City for review, the Permit Technician will provide the applicant with a detailed list of outside agencies and internal departments that require approval prior to permit issuance.
Once the internal Department comments are compiled, the permit tech will email the applicant the comments directly.
Please follow instructions on plan review letter for resubmittal. For additional information, please call (831) 648-3191.

Construction Inspections:

When calling the Inspection Line at (831)-648-3194 to schedule an inspection, please have the following information available:

  • Permit Number
  • Job Address - please include the street name and number
  • Type of Inspection needed
  • Date that the inspection is requested for
  • Name and phone number of whom to contact with questions

Please note:

  • Inspection requests received before 4:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day.
  • To confirm the 2 hour time frame on the day of your inspection, please contact the main line at (831) 648-3191 between 8:00-9:00 am.
  • For inspections, someone over the age of 18 must be present if access is required.
  • The approved plans and job card must be left at the site for inspector review.  
  • Permits expire 180 days after permit issuance or last inspection.
  • No confirmation call will be made.
PGMC 23.78 - Sale of Residential Buildings - requires that a Residential Zoning Records Report (RZRR - also known as City Report) be completed prior to the close of escrow, transfer of title for sale or exchange of any residential property, on all single-family dwellings, condos and apartment buildings. This process involves research of records on file and an exterior inspection of the property. No one is required to be in attendance and the City does not call in advance to schedule the inspection. RZRR report is typically prepared within ten (10) business days provided that all required information is provided and fees are paid.
RZRR Application Form   |    RZRR Application Fee: $187 this can be mailed to our office with a check made out to City of Pacific Grove. Please send to:
Attn: CDD
580 Pine Ave
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
To apply and pay for the RZRR online visit and pay the application fee of $192 (4% credit card fee included).