Prior to applying for a building permit, the following may be required: Approval from the Planning Commission, Architectural Review Board and/or planning staff.
Contractors must have the following prior to permit issuance:
- California State Contractor's license
- Worker's compensation insurance certificate
- Current City of Pacific Grove business license
Additional permits/approvals/ development impact fees that may be needed prior to permit issuance:
- Monterey One Water (Formerly MRWPCA) sewer permit or waiver (The “Sewer” Agency) (372.2385)
- MPWMD permit or waiver (The "Water" Department) (658.5601)
- Health Department for restaurants, public spas and swimming pools (647.7650)
- MBARD for Demolitions (647.9411)
- CCC permit or waiver for properties in the Coastal Zone (427.4863)
- TAMC Regional Development Impact fee
Building permit fees are charged in accordance with the adopted fee schedule. The City encourages applicants to consult with the other agencies (information location above) in which additional approvals may be required, to determine additional fees that will be associated with your project.
Plan review fees are collected at the time of application. These fees are non-refundable and collected upfront for plan check services provided.
Plan Review Process:
When calling the Inspection Line at (831)-648-3194 to schedule an inspection, please have the following information available:
- Permit Number
- Job Address - please include the street name and number
- Type of Inspection needed
- Date that the inspection is requested for
- Name and phone number of whom to contact with questions
- Inspection requests received before 4:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the next business day.
- To confirm the 2 hour time frame on the day of your inspection, please contact the main line at (831) 648-3191 between 8:00-9:00 am.
- For inspections, someone over the age of 18 must be present if access is required.
- The approved plans and job card must be left at the site for inspector review.
- Permits expire 180 days after permit issuance or last inspection.
- No confirmation call will be made.
Fire Safety Awareness Tips
Family Emergency Plan
Protecting Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Building Safety Month
Mold in the Home
Protect your family from Lead-based Paint
Renovate Safely (Spanish)
Building Green-Living Better
Solid Waste & Recycling Information for Business
Building Codes Toolkit
Earthquake safety guide
How to protect your family from lead based paint
CA Dept of Health Statement on Mold