City Council 101
The City of Pacific Grove and the City Council encourage all members of the public to participate in City government and attend City Council meetings.
City Council Chambers
300 Forest Avenue 1st Floor
1st & 3rd Wednesdays of each month, 6:00 pm
There are key points as an introduction to participation in meetings:
- Citizens may speak during the Public Comment period of the agenda for three minutes on a topic not on the agenda, but within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council.
- Citizens are able to speak on any item on the agenda once given recognition by the Mayor.
- Each speaker should line up along the wall, behind the microphone until his or her turn to speak, giving name and address.
- Speakers must adhere to the time limits, using the time limit lights as a guide .
- When groups wish to address the Council on one topic, a spokesperson from the group may be requested.
- Comments and statements should be addressed to the Council, not the audience.
- Applauding or other displays of approval or disapproval are inappropriate for Council meetings.
- The City is committed to provide access to all of its citizens. For disability-related accommodations, contact the City Clerk at (831) 648-3106.
Presentations: Special presentations by a Council member or staff member, including Mayor’s Proclamations or special recognitions.
Oral Communication: Specific period during the meeting allowing time for citizens to speak on any topic not on the agenda.
Consent Agenda: Routine items for which a staff recommendation has been prepared. A public member or Council member may request that an item be pulled from the consent agenda and placed on the regular agenda for discussion.
Ordinances: Permanent acts of the Council, “legislative acts” that may be repealed by a subsequent ordinance. It must be introduced (for distribution) and “passed and adopted” (for final approval) at two separate Council meetings at least five days apart.
Resolutions: Express the policy of the Council on programs or items, or to direct types of action; can be changed with subsequent resolution and are approved as “passed and adopted.”
Reports of Council Members & Staff
- Reports of Commissions, Boards, Committees: Reports to the Council by a staff member, Council member, or commission.
- Other Council Business: Reports, presentations, or discussion from other agencies, citizens, or community organizations.