The City of Pacific Grove contributes to the welfare and aesthetic qualities of the community through rules and regulations relating to planting, care, maintenance and removal of trees in public and private areas. The Public Forestry Division has the responsibility to safeguard trees from unauthorized trimming or removal.
Tree Removal/Trimming requires a permit from the City of Pacific Grove. All tree work within the City of Pacific Grove requires an application to be on file. A permit will be issued based on the City of Pacific Grove Tree Ordinance 12.20.040 Pruning and Removal of Protected Trees.
Please apply for a permit in the Community and Economic Development Department, 300 Forest Avenue Monday through Thursday 8-12 and 1-5.
If you have questions contact the City's Arborist Albert Weisfuss.
For information on rebates for new tree planting, please visit the RainScapes program page.
Tree Removal/Trimming Permits
- View the status of a Tree Permit
- Tree Permit Application
- Tree FAQs
- Landscape Trees Handout
- Landscape Trees Brochure
- Landscape Trees Spreadsheet
- Memorial Tree Application
- Pacific Grove Monarch Grove Sanctuary Operational Management Plan - 6/15/2011
- Monarch Sanctuary - Dr. Stuart Weiss Report
Urban Forestry Standards and handouts:
- Urban Forestry Standards (full document)
- Qualified Professionals and Tree Care License
- Tree Risk Assessment
- Tree Reports
- Urban Forest Growth and Development
- CEQA Public Review Tree Ordinance and Urban Forest Standards
- Public Tree Inventory
- Resource Analysis
- Urban Trees Canopy Assessment